The history of Furrows is an interesting one and in fact, the
company’s name emerged from taking the Ford Franchise in 1918 and
becoming a Ford Tractor dealer so Furrows, as in ploughing.
The original home of Furrows was Benbow House in Coton Hill, Shrewsbury, which was the original home of Admiral Benbow, and was purchased by Mr M.Davies in 1906. The name changed to ‘The Shrewsbury Garage’ and even today, Furrows premises on Harlescott Lane is known as The Shrewsbury Garage. The original Shrewsbury Garage had problems with flooding from the nearby River Severn, like much of the county town besides the river, and the garage's location meant that in the days before flood barriers there were regular soakings for both staff and vehicles alike.
The garage began life as an agent for Swift, Sunbeam, Studebaker, Briton and Arrol Johnson cars. By 1913, however, Mr Davies ceased to offer Swift and Studebaker and instead he turned to De Dion, Darraq, Star, Maxwell, Marathon and Argylls. It is worth noting that Mr Davies also operated his carriage-making company, Mountford, from the same site and it was during this time that Mr Davies also began making the Shrewsbury bicycle.
In 1918, Cyril Harrison Watson acquired the premises and when granted a Ford franchise, he created Furrows Ltd as Ford manufactured and selling tractors at the time. Furrows of Telford
opened at the Haygate road site in 1963 and moved to the Haybridge Road
site, on the site of the old Haybridge steel mill in November 1994,
however is was not officially opened until July 1995 after the Texaco
forecourt was finished.
Furrows of Oswestry followed in 1964 opening in Salop Road before moving to the present Whittington Road site in July 2003 followed on the 25th October 2005 when the Furrows of Shrewsbury dealership moved to its new larger premises on Harlescott Lane.
As mentioned before Furrows have been Ford Dealers since 1918 then in 2003 the Mazda franchise was added followed in 2004 by the Kia Franchise and in 2005 the ŠKODA franchise was added giving Furrows customers a wide and varied choice of new cars and light commercials in a range to suit all needs, and finance.
As well as keeping a large stock of the latest new vehicles at Furrows Dealerships we also keep a large selection of quality used cars and light commercial of all makes at competitive prices with a commitment to give the customer the very best in service.
Even if you have not bought a vehicle from us Furrows can look after all your motoring needs with our service, accident repair, parts and tyre departments all backed with Furrows award-winning customer service covering Shropshire and the surrounding area at Shrewsbury, Telford and Oswestry.