Named drivers | Furrows Group

Named drivers

Named drivers are the people you choose to drive your Motability car. Up to two named drivers are included as part of your lease; these can be yourself, friends, family or carers. You can also add a third driver for an additional cost.

Who can drive for you?

In order to protect the Scheme, there are a few rules surrounding who can drive your car:

  • Name drivers should live within 5 miles of you (Motability will consider requests to include drivers outside of this range where this is essential to support your needs)
  • If your named drivers do not live at the same address as you, or you live in a car home where a number of drivers have access to the vehicle, a location tracker may be fitted to the car to ensure that you are gaining direct benefit from the car
  • Drivers under 25 are restricted to cars with an ABI Insurance Group 16 or lower and with a power output of 120 BHP (brakehorse power) or less
  • Only 1 named driver under 21 is permitted
  • Motability will only accept drivers who have a valid driving licence. Additional checks will be required if drivers have a non-UK driving licence.
  • Only drivers who are named on your Certificate of Motor Insurance are covered to drive your car
  • Drivers with certain convictions, disqualifications or endorsements within the last five years will not be allowed

Adding a driver at the start of your lease ​

When you place the order for your next car, you will need to tell us about anyone you wish to drive the car, including yourself. This is the case even if you’re keeping the same drivers as on your current lease. You’ll also need to provide confirmation that these drivers agree to abide by the Scheme guidelines and are happy for us to check their details against the DVLA driver licence database.

Proposed drivers can give their consent by coming with you to the dealership when you place your order. Alternatively, they can fill out the Driver Consent Form , which will be sent to you three months before the end of your lease along with your renewal pack.

Changing a driver during your lease​

If you wish to add or change a driver during your lease, simply call RSA Motability (RSAM) on 0300 037 3737 and they will make the changes for you. Only you or your nominee can request a change of driver. RSAM will need to speak to your proposed driver to get their consent for the licence details to be checked against the DVLA driver licence database, so they must be with you when you call. In addition, to consider insuring your new driver, RSAM will need to know their details including:

  • full name
  • driving licence number
  • any motoring convictions
  • previous loss, damage or insurance claims
  • date of birth
  • if they only have a provisional driving licence.

Temporary drivers

You can add a temporary driver at no extra charge. However, please note that if your temporary driver will be the third driver that you are adding to your lease, there will be an additional cost.

A temporary driver can be added onto your policy for up to 30 days at a time and must always abide by the Scheme rules and use the car for your benefit. If you rely on this driver multiple times throughout the year, they must be included on your Certificate of Motor Insurance as a permanent driver. Please remember that temporary driver additions cannot be used as a substitute for a permanent driver. Please call RSAM on 0300 037 3737 for more information.

Do you need a third driver? 

It may be possible to have more than two named drivers on your policy. If you would like to nominate a third driver, you may be able to add them by paying an extra charge. And if your circumstances change and you no longer need a third driver, you may be entitled to a refund. Charges will vary depending on the remaining length of your contract so it’s best to call RSAM on 0300 037 3737 for more information.

Keep Motability informed

  • If your named drivers move address during your lease, inform RSA Motability (RSAM) by calling 0300 037 3737
  • If a named driver is convicted of a motoring offence during the agreement, you must tell RSAM immediately to make sure you are still covered
  • You should let the DVLA know about any change in you or your driver’s mobility or health which might make driving unsafe. But if your GP has passed you to drive and the DVLA are aware of these changes you do not need to contact us.